What is General Dentistry?
General dentistry involves the diagnosis, treatment, prevention of a wide range of dental conditions. Additionally, general dentistry encompasses the maintenance of overall oral health through cleanings, exams, gum care and other cosmetic, restorative and preventative services.
Ridgeview Family Dental not only specializes in general dentistry but also offers children’s dentistry which focuses on a patient’s oral health from infancy through their teen years. It is important to protect your teeth to keep them strong by daily brushing, flossing, and regular cleanings from Dr. Young and Dr. Weststeyn. We recommend regular visits once every 6 months to maintain proper oral hygiene and prevent any dental problems from arising.
General Dentistry Specialties
In order to maintain your oral health, Dr. Young and Dr. Weststeyn will cover certain issues during your regular cleanings and perform treatments as necessary. These general dentistry treatments restore health and beauty to the smile and include:
- Overall oral health: Good oral hygiene is important to your overall well-being so maintaining your teeth and gums is one of the most important things you can do. In addition to regular cleanings at Ridgeview Family Dental, patients should brush and floss daily. Patients that practice daily preventive care will be able to stop problems before they develop.
- TMJ Treatment: In addition to his general dentistry training, Dr. Young has training in neuromuscular dentistry. This area of dentistry focuses on jaw alignment, including how the jaw joints and facial muscles work together. TMJ treatment includes identifying what causes the pain and customizing a treatment plan to eliminate the pain.
- Cavities: When a tooth decays or breaks down a cavity can develop. Over time, the cavity, or hole, can grow bigger and deeper. Our dentists at Ridgeview Family Dentistry will repair the tooth by removing the decayed area and placing a filling.
- Root Canal: When the dental pulp, which contains blood vessels, nerves, and connective tissue, becomes infected patients can be in a great deal of pain. If this is the case, our dentists at Ridgeview Family Dentistry will have to perform a root canal by removing the nerves and tissue from the tooth to alleviate the pain.
- Tooth Extraction: When a tooth has an excessive amount of decay, disease, or trauma, patients may need to have the tooth extracted. Sometimes patients are in pain and need the tooth removed, other times Dr. Young or Dr. Weststeyn may remove the tooth before the pain develops.
- Wisdom tooth removal: When wisdom teeth, a set of molars in the back of your mouth, start to grow in they may need to be removed. Dr. Young or Dr. Weststeyn will remove your wisdom teeth if they are impacted or trapped, they are growing in at an angle, your mouth doesn’t have enough room, or they are decaying due to a cavity or gum disease.
Restorative Dentistry Services
Sometimes patients can still develop a dental condition despite cleanings and proper oral hygiene. In these cases, the dentists at Ridgeview Family Dental may offer restorative services to repair and replace teeth to restore your smile. These services include:
Cosmetic Dentistry Services
After restoring your smile some patients are still unhappy with their appearance. If this is the case, Dr. Young and Dr. Weststeyn offer cosmetic services to improve the color, shape, and size of the teeth. These services include:
What is a root canal?
A root canal is the most commonly performed endodontic procedure. It treats problems within a tooth’s soft core, also known as the dental pulp. The dental pulp contains blood vessels, nerves and connective tissue that provide nutrients to the tooth as it grows. Sometimes, the pulp can become infected and, as a result, the nerve and surrounding tissue must be removed from the tooth through the root canal procedure.
Schedule an Appointment
We would love to discuss your options! Please call 660-747-9117 to make an appointment. We serve Grain Valley, Odessa, Bates City and surrounding areas. Thanks to our convenient locations in Warrensburg, Oak Grove and Windsor.